From the Armed Services
- Coast Guard Lt. Fair Kim, son of Richard Kim of Lisle, assumed command of the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Vashon, based in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Kim, a 1991 graduate of Lisle High School in Lisle, served in various sea and shore billets prior to assuming command, including executive officer aboard the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Chincoteague, based in Key West, Fla., where he conducted more than 275 law enforcement boardings, and as liaison officer at Commander, Destroyer Squadron Six, Pascagoula, Miss. Kim, who joined the Coast Guard in July 1991, has received several personal awards, campaign ribbons and medals, including the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal and Coast Guard Achievement Medal.
- Nicole Danca, daughter of Lucy and Rich Danca of Naperville, graduated from the Army ROTC National Advanced Leadership Camp at Fort Lewis, Tacoma, Wash. The primary focus at camp is to develop and evaluate each cadet's performance and progress in officer traits, qualities and professionalism. Danca is a 1999 graduate of Waubonsie Valley High School in Aurora.
- Marine Corps Pvt. Lucas Bryant, son of Robin and Charles Bryant of Aurora, completed basic training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, Calif. Bryant is a 2002 graduate of East Aurora High School in Aurora.
- Marine Corps Pvt. Szymon Gryniak, a 1999 graduate of Waubonsie Valley High School in Aurora, completed basic training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, Calif.
- Army Reserve Pvt. Maria Ortiz, a 1998 graduate of West Aurora High School in Aurora, completed basic training at Fort Jackson, Columbia, S.C.
- Jeffrey Fiene, son of Linda and Frank Fiene of Naperville, has joined the U.S. Army under the Delayed Entry Program. Fiene, a 2002 graduate of Naperville North High School in Naperville, has up to one year to report for basic training duty at Fort Leonard Wood, Waynesville, Mo.
- Army Pvt. Juan Anguiano, brother of Patricia Anguiano of Aurora, graduated from the unit supply specialist advanced individual training course at Fort Lee, Petersburg, Va. The 2000 graduate of East Aurora High School in Aurora was trained to receive, inspect, segregate, store, inventory, issue, deliver and turn in organizational and installation supplies and equipment; maintain automated supply systems for accountability via computer; issue and receipt of small arms, and secure and control weapons and ammunition supplies.
- Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Edward Schmitt, son of Cindy and Edward Schmitt of Naperville, completed the Ground Radio Repair Course at Marine Corps Communications Electronics School, Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center, Twentynine Palms, Calif. Schmitt, a 1996 graduate of Naperville Central High School in Naperville, received instruction on radio communication equipment used by Marine Corps ground units, equipment characteristics, theory of operation, circuit analysis, alignment, performance testing and troubleshooting. …