Barbadian Proverbs. (Fiction)
Goddard, Horace I., Kola
A selection of Barbadian Proverbs with correspondences from other countries.
In volume 14, number 1, you were presented with proverbs from A to D, and in a work I'm currently researching On Barbadian proverbs. This selection from E to K is the second installment. Some essays will accompany the work in its final stages. I trust that you will enjoy these proverbs as much as I did in recording and discussing them.
89. Every skin teet' ain't no laugh.
a) All skin teeth no laugh. (Tobago)
90. Evah dog ain't name Bob.
91. Every dog day gine come.
a) Every dog got 'e day. (British variant)
92. Evah mortar got 'e own pestle.
a) Wha' in de mortar on de pestle.
93. Empty carts roll light.
94. Empty barrel (vessel) mek de most noise.
a) Empty barrel mek de mos' noise. (Jamaica)
95. Enjoy yuhself. It's later dan yuh t'ink. (Chinese)
96. Everyday bucket goin' down in de well, one day it gwine pop.
97. Evil doan go unspared.
a) Evil knows where evil sleeps. (Nigeria)
98. Exchange ain't no robbery. (British variant)
99. Eye turn and belly work. (Tobago)
100. Every madman got 'e own sense.
a) Every fool got 'e own good sense.
101. Every John Crow t'ink him pickanni white. (Also St. Vincent & Jamaica)
102. Every (good) thing comes to an end.
103. Everything happens for a purpose.
104. 'E bark worse dan 'e bite.
a) The dog's bark is not might, but fright. (Madagascar)
105. 'E livin' han' to mout'.
106. Everyt'ing in a skirt ain't clean.
107. Far off'gree best.
108. From de fryin' pan into de fire. (British variant)
a) Jump out a frying-pan you jump in fire. (Jamaica)
109. Follow pattern kill Cadogan.
a) Follow fashion bruk neck. (Jamaica)
110. Father got, mother got, blessed is de chil' dat got 'e own.
111. Finders are keepers.
112. Frog say, 'what is sport fuh you is death fuh me.'
113. Give yuh an inch yuh take an L. (British variant)
114. Give yuh an ol; horse, yuh ride 'e to hell.
115. God doan sen' a bird widout de limb.
116. God doan come but He does sen'.
117. God doan like ugly.
a) Godamighty no lab ugly. (Jamaica)
118. God ain't sleepin'.
a) Godamighty neber shut Him yeye. (Jamaica)
119. God doan come but He does send.
120. Good bittle never spoil (waste).
a) (Before good bittle 'pwoil, mek belly pop. (Jamaica)
121. Good bittle doan stan' 'pon table fuh field nigger to nyam.
122. Give Jack 'e jacket.
123. Game cock bring nine egg a penny.
124. Go an' get yuh own lock-n-key.
125. Gi 'e enough rope fuh heng 'eseif. (Give him enough rope to hang himself).