- These programs are scheduled in Keystone State Park in Derry Township:
-- "Sensing Summer," for ages 4-5, 1-2 p.m. Thursday. Stories, walk and crafts will be included.
-- "Weather Wonders," for ages 6-8, 2:30-3:30 p.m. Thursday. A walk will be included.
-- "Meteorology Madness," for ages 9-11, 1-3 p.m. Friday. Weather stations and forecasting will be discussed.
-- "Kayak Keystone," 2-4 p.m. Saturday. Basic kayak instruction and conservation tips will be followed by a paddle on the lake.
Advance registration is required for all activities at 724-668- 2566 or email@example.com.
- Students interested in transferring to the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg may attend a Transfer Decision Day on Saturday, when admissions decisions and class scheduling will be available. Official high school and college transcripts and documentation of SAT and/or ACT scores will be needed. A $100 tuition deposit will be required; the $45 application fee will be waived. Registration: 724-836-9880.
- Amateur Astronomers Association of Pittsburgh and Washington Township Lions Club will host a free stargazing party at 8 p.m. Saturday, weather permitting, in Kunkle Park, off Route 66 south of Apollo. Portable telescopes will be provided. Visitors can bring their own equipment and receive help using it. Information: www.3ap.org.
- Seniors for Safe Driving will present a highway safety education refresher class for drivers 55 and older from 1-5 p.m. Aug. 7 at Redstone Highlands, 12921 Redstone Drive, North Huntingdon. Participants must have completed a previous two-day course. Registration: 724-283-0245, 800-559-4880 or www.seniorsforsafedriving.com.
- "Native American Cooking in Pennsylvania" will be offered 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 9 at Historic Hanna's Town, 809 Forbes Trail Road, Hempfield. Workshop participants will learn about Eastern Woodland Indians' culture, foods and cooking techniques while preparing a feast to be eaten at the end of the day. Fee is $10, or $5 for children. Space is limited; registration is required by Aug. 6 at 724-532-1935.
- Students of all levels are invited to a mixed-media painting workshop Aug. 12-16 in Touchstone Center for Crafts in Wharton Township, Fayette County. Instructor will be artist, art critic and gallery owner Kurt Shaw. Fee is $500. Information: 724-329-1370 or www.touchstonecrafts.org.
- Compass Inn Kids: Explorer Challenge! Summer Camp is scheduled for 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Aug. 15 and 16 at Compass Inn Museum, 1382 Route 30, Laughlintown. Participants will learn skills needed in 1800s Pennsylvania; activities will recreate a journey west, innkeeping and joining a militia. Fee is $40 for Ligonier Valley Historical Society child members and $50 for others. Space is limited. Registration: 724-238-4983.
- Pizza orders are being taken through Wednesday at the McKenna Senior Center, 971 Old Salem Road, Greensburg. Cost is $8.50 for a 12-inch plain or pepperoni pie. Payment is due with order. Information: 724-837-8832.
- Jeff Perigo and Friends will entertain with rock 'n' roll Americana music during the weekly Westmoreland Cultural Trust T.G.I.S. party from 6-9:30 p.m. Thursday in the Palace Theatre, 21 W. Otterman St., Greensburg. Food and beverages will be available. Donations will be accepted for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. Information: 724-836-1123 or www.westmorelandculturaltrust.org.
- Registration will be 10:30 a.m.-noon Saturday for the 44th annual Fairfield Boys Club Frog Jumping Contest on the Fairfield Community Center grounds, 170 Beauford Road, Fairfield (sign will be posted on Route 711 on Fairfield Hill between Ligonier and New Florence). Jumping will begin at 11:30 a.m. Trophies will be awarded in five age divisions from 6 and younger to 16 and older. …