Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty
Russian and U.S. negotiators last month opened their latest round of talks aimed at concluding a successor to START, The Geneva discussions appeared likely to continue until Oct. 2, U.S. sources told the Associated Press.
In New York, President Barack Obama addressed the UN General Assembly for the first time Sept. 23. He restated his commitment to pursue an arms control agreement that would substantially reduce "the number of strategic warheads and launchers." He added that his administration would "complete a Nuclear Posture Review that opens the door to deeper cuts."
The Obama administration's Sept. 17 announcement that it will shelve Bush-era plans for strategic missile defense in Europe and deploy shorter-range systems has removed one potential irritant to U. S. -Russian talks to replace START (see page 19). "The overall atmospherics will be improved" in the talks as a result of the move, a Department of State official told The Washington Post Sept. 21.
However, the rules under which both sides will count strategic warheads and delivery systems under a new START have not yet been agreed, a senior administration official told Arms Control Today Sept. …