Juvenile Criminal Caseload Fell in 2010-2011, Second Straight Drop: StatsCan: Juvenile Court Cases Down in 2010-2011
OTTAWA - Statistics Canada says the caseload in youth courts fell seven per cent in 2010-2011, a second straight annual drop.
The agency says youth courts handled about 52,900 cases last year, involving more than 178,000 charges.
Meanwhile, adult criminal courts completed nearly 403,000 cases in the same year, involving about 1.2 million charges.
The adult caseload was virtually the same as the previous year following three consecutive annual increases.
The number of youth court cases fell in every province except Manitoba, where it was up three per cent from the previous year.
The number of adult cases declined by seven per cent in British Columbia and by six per cent in Alberta and Quebec.
These declines were offset by increases elsewhere, including Saskatchewan, where cases rose five per cent and Ontario, which had a two per cent increase.
Most criminal cases involved non-violent offences.
For adults, 77 per cent of all completed cases involved property, administration of justice, traffic or other non-violent offences, such as drug charges. Violent offences accounted for the remaining 23 per cent.
The most common offences in adult court were impaired driving, theft, common assault, failure to comply with a court order and breach of probation. …