The Organ in the Episcopal Church of the Holy Trinity at Pitlochry in Scotland
Hughes, Bryan, Musical Opinion
Pitlochry lies within a beautiful setting of loch, river, mountains and wood. The Faskally Dam on the River Tummel on the outskirts of the town has a 'fish ladder' where visitors may observe the salmon leaping upstream past the hydroelectric power station. Pitlochry is said to be the geographical center of Scotland.
The Scottish Episcopal Church in these parts has a long history. The first Priest to hold Services in the town was in 1840. These Services took place from time to time, first in a carpenter's shop. Worship was a rather hit-and-miss affair, depending on what passengers arrived by stage-coach. Part of an old letter which has been preserved tells us that: "Every Saturday evening when Robert Stuwart's Coach arrived at the Fishers Hotel, a group of people would await its arrival hoping a Clergyman would be amongst the passengers; he would then be asked to take the Services next day in the carpenter's shop." One visiting Clergyman was Doctor Afford later Dean of Canterbury Cathedral.
In 1857 plans were put forward to build a Church. Some difficulty was experienced in obtaining land until finally a site was purchased some half-mile outside the Village of Pitlochry. Fortunately, in 1860 the railway arrived, thus causing greater expansion whereby the township was formed; the railroad passing over a bridge, this opened a fine approach to the Church. The Deed of Consecration was read by the Warden of Winchester College in 1860. The building is in a simple English style to a design by the architect Charles Buckeridge of Oxford, who was then aged twenty-four. The original building was shorter than the present day one; later, another arched bay was added at the West End, this making the entrance approximately half way along the Nave. The approach is through a. stone lytch gate where just beyond an attractive bum is spanned by a short clapper bridge just before the doorway. Internal furnishings are of plain oak open-- backed seating. The stained glasswork is by Ballentine & Sons of Edinburgh, Clayton & Bell and Meyer of Munich.
In 1903 the Organ was installed in a chamber on the North side of the Chancel by Hele & Co of Plymouth to the following specification:
Lever Swell Pedal on right hand of Console. …