was also a dramatic actor. Sr. Jose Servín and Altamirano were notable comic actors, and Leopoldo Avila played the young gallant. Each of these was admired but none more than Sr. Francisco Solórzano, who always played dramatic roles.
Solórzano probably continued to operate a theatre in Laredo for a number of years. On July 9, 1916, sources indicate Solórzano reopened a "Teatro Principal" in Laredo with a leading Mexican opera company, so, while he remained in Texas, he either rebuilt the Teatro Solórzano or moved to a new location. His daughter, Berta Solórzano, continued to perform in Texas on a regular basis with many major companies and is an excellent example of how resident companies served to create native Mexican-American actors and actresses on the Spanish-language stage in Texas. Sr. Lalo Astol, who performed with numerous companies in Texas throughout the first quarter of the twentieth century, recalls staying with the widowed Sra. Solórzano in 1920 or 1921 in Laredo, a place that had by then become familiar to Mexican actors and actresses as the initial stepping stone to the Texas stage.
Management: Francisco E. Solórzano, manager ( 1910-11), proprietor ( 1911).
Stage Director: Francisco E. Solórzano.
Actors and Actresses: Sr. Altamirano, Leopoldo Avila, Juan Donat, Srta. Concha Ortiz, Sra. de Servín, Sr. Jose Servín, Sr. Francisco E. Solórzano, Sra. Magdalena Rodriguez de Solórzano, and a child actress who was probably Berta Solórzano.
1910-11: Don Juan Tenorio.
1911-12: Maximiliano I.
La Crónica, Laredo, 1910-11.
El Horizonte, Laredo, 1910-11.
Manon Manuel. Historia del Teatro Principal de México. Mexico: Editorial "Cultura," 1932.
Ramírez Elizabeth C. "A History of Mexican American Professional Theatre in Texas Prior to 1900." Theatre Survey 24 ( 1983): 99-116.
Austin, Texas. University of Texas. Mexican-American Library Project of the Latin American Library Collection. "Memoirs of Lalo Astol."
Elizabeth C. Ramírez
SOMERVILLE THEATRE PLAYERS. The Somerville Theatre Players ( Somerville, Massachusetts) opened May 10, 1915, to perform Bayard Veiller Within the Law ( 1912). The theatre was built in 1914 in this suburb of Boston as part of the Hobbs Building, which also accommodated business offices, bowling alleys, a billiard room, a restaurant, and a separate auditorium with a