It was noted in chapter 5 that for one-half (47.1 percent) of the women the choice of abortion was obvious from the first awareness of the pregnancy. For the other half (52.9 percent), it was a decision made after vacillating and winnowing various alternatives.1 Evidently, a woman who is displeased about becoming pregnant has three alternatives, besides abortion, to consider: She can carry the pregnancy to term and raise the child as an unwed mother; she can give the baby up for adoption; or she can get married and raise the child. Each alternative involves certain liabilities. No decision is simple for an unmarried woman who does not want to have a baby.
The women for whom abortion was not the first choice considered raising the child as an unwed mother (34.3 percent) or marriage with the sex partner (18.6 percent).2 They rejected____________________