Stanford University and Herbert Hoove
The lecture, given by Dr. John Casper Branner, professor of geology at Stanford University, was entitled "The Bones of the Earth." Branner was an enthusiastic and inspiring speaker, and Lou, whose interest in earth sciences dated back to her hikes through the mountains with her father and that exciting summer when she helped him operate the mine in Acton, was hooked. She decided to enroll at Stanford to study geology under Dr. Branner.
Leland Stanford Junior University was only three years old. It had been founded in 1891 by California Senator and rail baron Leland Stanford in memory of his son, Leland Jr., who had died of typhoid seven years before at the age of fifteen. Located on the 8,800-acre Stanford ranch, the university was thirty miles from San Francisco and seventy-five from Monterey. Its buff sandstone buildings had been designed by architect Frederick Olmsted, who also designed New Yorles Central Park. They were arranged in an open quadrangle, joined by long sandstone arcades with red tile roofs. Grain fields surrounded the campus, punctuated here and there by an occasional live oak or eucalyptus tree. Several horse farms were nearby; Stanford himself raised racehorses. On the northeast corner of the ranch stood a single sequoia -- the tall tree (or palo alto) that gave the community growing up around the campus its name. Tuition at Stanford was free, and from the first the school was fully coeducational.
When Lou started classes at Stanford in the fall of 1894, many buildings were still under construction, and new departments were being added each year. Ellen Coit Elliott, wife of the school's registrar, complained that the campus looked "exactly like a factory."1 Roble Hall, the women's dormitory, had been built rather