THE first Charles Read, like the other early settlers of Burlington, took up lands in West New Jersey, but unlike most of them, he did not remain in the province. When a few years later Philadelphia was founded, he joined in the new enterprise. Here he engaged in mercantile pursuits and soon became one of the leading citizens of the community. In the city charter issued by William Penn in 1701 he was named alderman,1 and he also served as a member of the colonial assembly. In 1701 he purchased from Laetitia Penn, daughter of the founder, a lot at the southwest corner of Front and High (Market) Streets, and on this site the following year he built a three-story gable-roofed house.
Charles Read was twice married. By his first wife he had at least one son, Charles II, born about 1686. His second wife was Amy Child. From this union were born two daughters, through whom by marriage the Reads enhanced their social position in the province. Rachel ( 1691- 1765) became the wife of Israel Pemberton ( 1685- 1754), prosperous merchant, and Sarah ( 1699- 1754) married James Logan ( 1674- 1751), secretary of the province under William Penn. Originally a Quaker, Read followed the fortunes of George Keith, and transferred his allegiance to the Church of England, in which he brought up his son. Amy Child, however, was a devout Quaker, and the two girls chose the faith of their mother, a connection strengthened by their marriage to Quaker leaders. Read seems to have been on the friendliest terms with the Quakers, commanding their confidence and respect. James Logan, writing to William Penn in 1702,____________________