On Quaker Service
During the summer of 1918, when Henry Cadbury had considered volunteering to work for a year with the newly formed AFSC, Haverford College had discouraged him. Now, abruptly, in November he was forced to take the leave of absence he had once sought. The irony of the situation did not escape him. The positions at 20 South Twelfth Street were already filled, but there was need for someone with Henry Cadbury's gift with words to convert the unfolding story of Quaker service abroad into articles for the Friends publications and other friendly magazines. Henry Cadbury became a volunteer publicist.
The end of the war on November 11 meant that AFSC reconstruction work could begin in earnest. Most of it was located in the Verdun area, where much of the fighting had taken place. Here AFSC workers helped to erect prefabricated houses, to assist in the development of cooperative stores, and to reestablish agriculture. A series of army dumps were turned over to the Quakers for the salvage of useful materials, among them rifle butts, which were literally turned into plowshares. The French government provided the Quakers with groups of German prisoners to assist with this work. Rather than accept free labor, members of the unit kept track of the hours the prisoners put in and later gave the appropriate amount of money as a gift to their families. Elsewhere, Quaker workers ran canteens and hostels for refugees. When the term of service of the original volunteers ended, many decided to stay on for another year, and other Quaker men and women, who had missed work in wartime, volunteered to join.1
All of these activities made excellent copy for the Friend or the Nation. In addition, exciting stories were coming in from the Rus-