An Active Retirement
At Pendle Hill, the Cadburys settled into Upmeads, a good-sized stone house near the entrance to the serene campus. Henry Cadbury had been close to Pendle Hill since its creation, and both he and Lydia Cadbury had often been on campus for a conference or a course of lectures, so the move in 1954 was in many ways a homecoming. Both Cadburys were glad to be near old friends and family. Their daughter Winifred, her husband Martin, and their new granddaughter, Michelle Beer, lived near Philadelphia. Another granddaughter, Carol, was born the following March.
Their good friends Howard and Anna Brinton, former directors, were back living on the Pendle Hill campus, having returned from a two-year AFSC assignment in Japan. The Brintons shared with the Cadburys both AFSC loyalties and scholarly interests. Anna Brinton was an outspoken woman, like Lydia Cadbury. Howard Brinton was quiet, thoughtful, and contemplative. Students at Pendle Hill during this period felt his spiritual influence, at the same time they responded to Henry Cadbury's intellectual challenges. It was the best of both worlds.
By now, Henry Cadbury was Quakerism's most popular lecturer, and to have him on campus was a delight to the Pendle Hill staff and students. Although he was very busy with his teaching, first at Drew and then at Haverford, as well as with chairing the AFSC and Bryn Mawr boards, he was able to find time to deliver a series of Monday night lectures and occasional weekend seminars. For ten years his talks were a consistent Pendle Hill feature, centering on Jesus, on John, on Paul, on the Book of Daniel, on the Apocrypha and the Book of Revelation, as well as such topics as the Resurrection, the Holy Spirit, and perfectionism, and the Quaker testi