voting, leases, graft, and tribal tax. He also published an occasional letter or article from a Cherokee writer.
In October, 1905, he sold the newspaper to O. P. Hollingsworth, who continued to publish items of Indian news, but with less emphasis. In March, 1906, Hollingsworth moved to Missouri, selling the paper to J. A. Masterson, who became editor and publisher. Until 1907, Masterson published items relating to such matters as oil, gas, removal of restrictions from allotments, Oklahoma statehood, the state constitutional convention, and Jim Crow legislation. After statehood, the emphasis was on local, county, and state news. Masterson edited the Ledger until 1912. Throughout this time, it was a four-page, seven-column paper.
In the fall of 1912, the newspaper was apparently sold to Emma A. and Charles R. Barnes, publishers and editors of the Big Cabin Sentinel at nearby Big Cabin. From October, 1912, to March, 1913, the inside page bore the title The Big Cabin Sentinel and the Adair Ledger, and then the Ledger's name was dropped.
Bibliography : Carolyn Thomas Foreman, Oklahoma Imprints, 1835-1907 ( Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1936)
Index Sources: None
Location Sources: Gregory
Title and Title Changes: The Adair Ledger ( 1904); The Adair Weekly Ledger ( 1904- 1912)Volume and Issue Data: The Adair Ledger (Vol. 1, No. 26, June 19, 1904-Vol. 1, No. 29, July 1, 1904; The Adair Weekly Ledger (Vol. 1, No. 30, July 8, 1904-Vol. 7, No. 20, May 22, 1912)
Publisher and Place of Publication: James R. Carselowey ( 1904- 1905); O. P. Hollingsworth ( 1905- 1906); J. A. Masterson ( 1906- 1912), Adair, Cherokee Nation, later OklahomaEditor: James R. Carselowey ( 1904- 1905); O. P. Hollingsworth ( 1905- 1906); J. A. Masterson ( 1906- 1912)
The Afton News was founded in the fall of 1892 at Afton, Cherokee Nation, by the Afton Printing Company. The four-page, eight column (later seven-