the son of Aaron Homer. After several years of education at Spencer Academy, Homer had taught, studied law, and held several Choctaw national offices. 1 In 1894 he had helped prepare a compilation of the laws of the Choctaw Nation. Under Homer's direction, Grant issued, at least for a time, simultaneous numbers under Atoka Choctaw Champion and Atoka Chahta Kallo. In the latter, the front page was printed entirely in Choctaw. Since only three issues (Volume 1, Numbers 25-27) of the Choctaw editions are known to exist, it is uncertain how long Grant published simultaneous editions. The practice ended, however, with the issue of July 29, 1898, when he expanded the single edition to six pages.
In English, Grant published local news, directories for churches and other organizations, and advertisements for candidates for political office. On the Choctaw national level, he published articles relating to railroad interests, the Curtis Act, frauds, politics, Choctaw freedmen, and the Atoka Agreement. In addition, he published an occasional children's department containing advice to "good" boys and girls.
How long the Atoka Choctaw Champion continued is uncertain, but it apparently ceased publication in 1898.
Bibliography: Carolyn Thomas Foreman, Oklahoma Imprints, 1835- 1907 ( Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1936)
Index Sources: None
Location Sources: Danky and Hady; Gregory
Title and Title Changes: Atoka Chahta Kallo and Atoka Choctaw Champion ( 1898)
Volume and Issue Data: Atoka Chahta Kallo and Atoka Choctaw Champion (Vol. 1, No. 25, July 15, 1898-Vol. 1, No. 27, July 29, 1898); Atoka Choctaw Champion (Vol. 1, No. 28, August 5, 1898-Vol. 1, No. 30, August 19, 1898)
Publisher and Place of Publication: Atoka Printing Company, Atoka, Choctaw Nation ( 1898)
Editor: William J. Grant ( 1898)
ATOKA DEMOCRAT AND INDIAN CITIZEN.See THE INDIAN CITIZEN (1886)
The Atoka Independent was first published at Atoka, Choctaw Nation, on July 27, 1877. The weekly newspaper was founded and edited by W. J. Hemby, a practical printer who formerly had been associated with The Vindicator.*