more or less loyal to the Office of Indian Affairs. However, there was a large amount of student writing. Senior numbers were edited by the members of the senior class. And in 1908 and 1909, it was supposedly edited and printed by students, but soon the "edited by" statement was dropped. The printing office provided training for a number of students such as James Mumblehead, a Cherokee, who went on to work for various newspapers and Indian school publications. In final estimation, The Carlisle Arrow and Red Man offers clear insight into such matters as the Indian Service school policy, curriculum, campus life, and the outing system at Carlisle.
Index Sources: None
Location Sources: Danky and Hady; NUC; ULS
Title and Title Changes: The Arrow ( 1904- 1908); The Carlisle Arrow ( 1908- 1917); The Carlisle Arrow and Red Man ( 1917- 1918)
Volume and Issue Data: The Arrow (Vol. 1, No. 1, August 25, 1904-Vol. 4, No. 42, June 19, 1908); The Carlisle Arrow (Vol. 5, No. 1, September 11, 1908-Vol. 14, No. 3, September 28, 1917); The Carlisle Arrow and Red Man (Vol. 14, No. 4, October 5, 1917-Vol. 14, No. 37, June 7, 1918)
Publisher and Place of Publication: The Carlisle Indian Press, U.S. Indian Industrial School, Carlisle, Pennsylvania ( 1904-1918)
Editor: W. A. Mercer ( 1904- 1908); Moses Friedman ( 1908- 1914); Oscar H. Lipps ( 1914- 1918); John Francis Jr. ( 1918)
The Chemawa American was established as the Weekly Chemawa American in 1897 at the Salem Indian Training School at Chemawa, Oregon. The school had been founded on February 25, 1880, at Forest Grove, Oregon, with twenty- five students and a few small buildings on a block of land. The town of Salem offered the school 177 acres five miles north of the town, and the school was moved in 1885. The students worked and earned enough to buy an additional 85 acres. The school continued to expand so that by the early years of the twentieth century, it had over 400 acres of fine cultural land and 40 acres of orchards. Its prime mission was to teach trades. 1