On July 11, 1908, Hudson retired as editor. A controlling interest in the plant had been purchased by G. P. and H. E. Hardy of Ohio. By that time, the affairs of the Cherokee Nation had been closed except for a few legal loose ends. Although occasional articles regarding Indian affairs continued to appear, the paper had become a rather typical local newspaper whose interests rested first with Tahlequah and Cherokee County and then with the state of Oklahoma.
On August 1, 1908, the title became Tahlequah Democratic Arrow, but four issues later became The Tahlequah Arrow again. In August, 1912, it absorbed The Tahlequah Herald, which title it took briefly before becoming the Cherokee County Democrat. It was edited and managed by G. P. and H. E. Hardy and E. W. Justus until December, when Justus left the paper. From June 22, 1918, to February 14, 1920, it was edited by G. P. Hardy alone. He sold the Arrow Publishing Company in early 1920.
The newspaper survived until late 1930, but meanwhile it changed owners several times. It returned to Indian owners in 1927, when it was published by Charles L. and Fletcher H. Rogers as The Arrow-Democrat. They sold it in 1928 to the East Oklahoma Publishing Company, whose vice-president was Charles O. Frye, three eighths Cherokee. Its title became Cherokee County Democrat once more, and it ceased publication on November 14, 1930, when it was absorbed by the Republican Star. Although the new publication was called the Cherokee County Democrat-Star, it took on the volume number of the Star.
Bibliography: Carolyn Thomas Foreman, Oklahoma Imprints, 1835-1907 ( Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1936); H. F. O'Beirne and E. S. O'Beirne, The Indian Territory ( St. Louis: C. B. Woodward Company, 1892)
Index Sources: None
Location Sources: Danky and Hady; Gregory; HFL. Microprint: Clearwater