Publisher and Place of Publication: White Earth Boarding School, White Earth, Minnesota ( 1902- 1909)
Editor: Oscar H. Lipps ( 1902- 1904); W. R. Davis ( 1904- 1906); Leonidas L. Goen ( 1907- 1909)
The Choctaw County Chronicle was a seven-column, six-page weekly newspaper established at Hugo, Oklahoma, in January, 1907. 1 The paper was a typical small-town weekly containing local news and advertising. Politically, the newspaper was Democratic.
The publisher, editor, and business manager was Thomas E. Sanguin. Sanguin was born in 1871 near Goodland, Choctaw Nation, the son of Charles Sanguin and Susan Spring, the latter of Choctaw descent. He was educated in Choctaw public schools and at Spencer Academy. Sanguin had been a salesman in a general store, owner of a store at Doaksville, and a cattle dealer and shipper. In 1897-1899, he was treasurer of the Choctaw Nation. He later served as district tax collector for the Third District of Indian Territory, a member of the coal commission, and a member of the royalty commission. 2
Bibliography: Carolyn Thomas Foreman, Oklahoma Imprints, 1835-1907 ( Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1936)
Index Sources: None
Location Sources: OkHi
Title and Title Changes: Choctaw County Chronicle ( 1907)
Volume and Issue Date: Choctaw County Chronicle (No. 3, January 24, 1907)
Publisher and Place of Publication: Thomas E. Sanguin, Hugo, Oklahoma ( 1907)
Editor: Thomas E. Sanguin ( 1907)
The Choctaw Intelligencer was established at Doaksville, Choctaw Nation, on June 6, 1850. The six-column, four-page weekly newspaper, printed in English and Choctaw, continued until January 7, 1852.