Published by L. D. Alsabrook, the newspaper was first edited by John P. Kingsbury, a white man, and Jonathan Edwards Dwight, a well-educated Choctaw preacher. Kingsbury was a Methodist missionary who had taught at Pine Ridge, Choctaw Nation, and had served as Indian agent in 1850. Dwight had attended Dartmouth College, having entered Moor's School there in 1838. After his return to the Indian Terrritory, he had learned the printing trade while reading proof for Choctaw publications at the Mission Press at Park Hill, Cherokee Nation. He had also taught at Spencer Academy. 1
With a motto "Universal Love and Charity Our Shield; Our Only Weapon Truth," The Choctaw Intelligencer offered much in the moral and religious vein. Besides local news, there were "Family Circle" columns, a "Children's Corner," and articles on domestic, temperance, and inspirational subjects. Articles were printed on such topics as Choctaw missions, Choctaw politics, and schools. Also printed were poetry, advertisements for runaway slaves, and letters to the editor regarding political and social issues of the day. Several columns of material in each issue were printed in Choctaw, much of which was translations of the Bible.
Kingsbury left the paper in January, 1851, and Dwight became part owner with Alsabrook. Dwight, assisted by Alsabrook, was editor. Jonathan Cogswell, a Choctaw from Boggy Depot, became assistant translator. Cogswell, formerly a teacher in the mission schools, was well known, having been elected auditor of Pushmataha District in 1849. 2 The Intelligencer also employed two native printers, Charles Stuart and Joel Hudson.
When the paper was reorganized, Dwight believed it necessary to have a paper in the Choctaw Nation to advocate morality, temperance, education, and industry. Much as before, there were columns devoted to U.S., local, and Choctaw national news, as well as filler and agricultural information. But perhaps more important, Dwight and Alsabrook published more material in the Choctaw language, most issues carrying five to six columns. At first, advertisement was liberal, but in the latter months of 1851 it declined. The newspaper ceased publication, Dwight said, because he could find no one capable of taking over and because the financial support was not sufficient.