THE DAILY BEE.SeeTHE SACRAMENTO BEE
The Daily Capital was established as The Daily Telephone at Tahlequah, Cherokee Nation, in November, 1889, the only daily published at the time in the Indian Territory. It was edited by Harvey Wirt Courtland Shelton, a Cherokee, who edited the weekly Telephone.* Born in 1864 and graduated from the Cherokee Male Seminary in 1882, Shelton had attended Dartmouth College and had taught school before becoming editor of the Telephone. 1
The Daily Telephone appeared only during the annual session of the Cherokee National Council, and its purpose was to relate news of council proceedings. It contained as well local news of Tahlequah, the Cherokee capital.
It is uncertain whether the daily was published every year or how long it was published. However, it was published as the Telephone late in 1894. 2 In late 1895 it became The Daily Capital, which was published from October at least until the following January. It was an eight-page daily with a ten-page Sunday edition. George Wofford, a Cherokee and former manager of The Cherokee Advocate,* was manager, and it was published by the Capital Printing Company. It was apparently in financial difficulty in early 1896, for Sallie E. Dick, editor of The Weekly Capital* complained that the daily was not receiving the patronage that it deserved. 3 It probably did not last much longer, for the weekly was suspended later that year.