part of the educational activities in the region. Regular columns contained items of practical instruction, Eskimo news, medical information, items concerning schools and teachers. It also contained articles on "advancement" of the Eskimos, admonitions against the traditional practices and customs, practical "how- to" articles, and occasional pieces of short fiction and verse. Most space, however, was devoted to information about reindeer, particularly herd management, much of it written by natives. The publication was distributed free to Eskimos and was reported to have reached every village on the Alaskan seaboard. 1
The Eskimo was revived as a quarterly in February, 1936, at Seattle, Washington, by Clarence L. Andrews. Born in Ohio in 1862, Andrews held various political offices in Oregon and Alaska and worked as a journalist in Alaska. He worked for the Interior Department School and Reindeer Service from 1923 to 1929. From then until 1945, he worked in vain to keep whites from entering the reindeer industry as a profit-making venture, exploiting the Eskimos, and ruining the project as the Eskimos overgrazed and neglected their herds as a result of white influence. 2
Andrews revived The Eskimo in the interests of the reindeer industry, which had greatly declined between Shields's death and 1936. The quarterly was distributed free to Eskimos and friends of Eskimos. Andrews was more concerned with the reindeer industry than with education. He printed information on pending legislation of concern to Eskimos and on reindeer population, predators, herd management, and ownership. He relied principally on governmental officials and native informants for information. However, he published little of the natives' writing. Andrews called his monthly "the only Eskimo paper in the world" until October, 1939, when he changed it to "the only Eskimo paper in North America," having been informed by an official of the Danish National Museum that three Eskimo papers were published in Greenland.
The format changed little during the life of the magazine. From 1917 to 1918 it contained eight pages of two columns each, with an occasional issue of twelve or one of single column print. After its revival, it contained two columns, with an occasional issue of one, and the page numbers fluctuated between four and eight.
Andrews moved in 1941 to Eugene, Oregon, where the quarterly continued until at least July, 1947.
Bibliography: The Eskimo, 3 ( February, 1936), 1, and 6 ( July 1939), 2; The Peace Pipe, 7 ( January, 1918), 1