The Glacier was a monthly newspaper published at the Tlingit Training Academy, Fort Wrangell, Alaska. The first paper to be published at Fort Wrangell, it began apparently in December 1885, and was edited by the Reverend S. Hall Young, who had gone to Fort Wrangell as a Presbyterian missionary in 1878. He organized a church in 1879, and in 1880 a girls' home was built with Mrs. A. R. McFarland as matron. When the home burned in 1883, Mrs. McFarland moved with many of the students to Sitka, where Sheldon Jackson and A. E. Austin had established a training school. The Tlingit Training Academy was established as a boarding school independent of the Presbyterian mission, and Mrs. Young served as matron. 1
The monthly contained articles on Tlingit religious beliefs, the egg, milk, and chicken business run by the academy, and the condition of the people and buildings at the school. Some Tlingit vocabulary was used in the articles, and the Lord's Prayer in Tlingit appeared in the May, 1886, issue. 2 Later called the record of early mission work in Alaska, The Glacier ceased publication in 1888, probably when Young left Fort Wrangell.