Iapi oaye, established in May, 1871, was published by the Dakota Mission at Greenwood, South Dakota. Published in Yankton and Santee dialects, the four-page, two-column monthly began a publication career of nearly seventy years. The first editors were John P. Williamson, in charge of the Yankton, and Stephen Return Riggs, in charge of the Santee.
The Reverend John Pogue Williamson had removed with the Sioux from Minnesota to Nebraska and South Dakota in 1866. He was born at Lac Qui Parle, Minnesota, the eldest son of Thomas Smith Williamson, a Yale-educated physician who had practiced medicine for over a decade before attending seminary and becoming a Presybterian missionary to the Sioux. John Williamson graduated from Lane Seminary in 1860 and preached in Indiana and at the Red Wood, or Lower Sioux Agency, in Minnesota. He arrived just in time for the outbreak of 1862, after which he accompanied the Dakota families to Fort Snelling. After a number of Dakota men were arrested and taken to Camp McClellan at Davenport, Iowa, for their part in the "uprising," their families were taken to Fort Thompson, or Crow Creek, in Dakota Territory. Williamson accompanied them during this time of hardship and deprivation. In the summer of 1866, when the Indians were resettled in the northeast corner of Nebraska, Williamson again went along as a missionary. From 1873 to 1878, he was special agent at Flandreau. 1
Like Williamson, Stephen Return Riggs had been a missionary to the Minnesota Sioux. Born at Steubenville, Ohio, on March 23, 1812, he was educated at Jefferson College and at Western Theological Seminary in Pennsylvania. Licensed to preach by the Presbyterians in 1836, he was commissioned by the