In 1898 Chief Green McCurtain began to appoint Smiser to posts of responsibility related to the dissolution of the Choctaw Nation, including the Choctaw Townsite Commission. 5 Smiser apparently had less time to devote to newspaper work; thus in 1900 Norma E. Smiser became editor and manager of the paper. Under her editorship, it changed little. However, as the affairs of the Choctaw Nation were being concluded and Oklahoma statehood approached, the paper became more oriented to the local affairs of Atoka and vicinity and had less Indian emphasis. There were, however, still occasional items in the Choctaw language.
On April 13, 1905, Mrs. Smiser announced that she and her husband had sold The Indian Citizen to Paul B. Smith of Salida, Colorado. Smith had promised, she said, to continue the "Indian policy" of the paper and to protect "Indian interests" to the best of his ability. Throughout the seventeen years that B. S. Smiser was associated with the newspaper, it had maintained an eight-page, six- column format and had changed little regarding the kinds of information found in its pages.
Smith continued to publish items related to the Choctaws, but as the territorial period ended and statehood came, the emphasis shifted to local, county, and state news. In February, 1908, Frank C. Burkhart became editor. He was replaced shortly by Will L. Burkhart. In March Lee W. Folsom became Choctaw editor, and the Citizen published items in Choctaw print during the few weeks that Folsom worked. In June, 1908, Herbert Davis became editor and was replaced in August by A. M. Robertson. On June 3, 1909, The Indian Citizen merged with The Atoka Democrat to form the Atoka Democrat and the Indian Citizen, with D. O. Graff as editor. On August 12, 1909, it became The Indian Citizen- Democrat, which continued publication until December 27, 1956.
The newspaper is published today as The Indian Citizen by the Atoka Press and is edited by Robert J. Bonner.