Index Sources: None
Location Sources: OkHi
Title and Title Change: Indian Home and Farm ( 1910)
Volume and Issue Data: Indian Home and Farm (Vol. 1, No. 1, March 17, 1910--Vol. 1, No. 21, August 6, 1910)
Publisher and Place of Publication: Indian Printing Company ( 1910), W. S. Renick ( 1910), Muskogee, Oklahoma
Editor: Augustus E. Ivey ( 1910); Thomas W. Foreman ( 1910)
The Indian Journal was established at Muskogee, Creek Nation, in May, 1876, by the Indian International Printing Company, which consisted of some of the most influential citizens of the Indian Territory. The printing company, chartered by an act of the Creek National Council and signed by Principal Chief Samuel Checote on October 16, 1875, included Lochar Harjo, Ward Coachman, and Checote (Creeks); William Potter Ross and Samuel Taylor (Cherokees); Coleman Cole and Joseph P. Folsom (Choctaws); B. F. Overton (Chickasaw); and John Chupco and Jumper (Seminoles). 1 The Journal received appropriations from the Creek Council in 1877, but after that the Creek government gave no official support to it.
The eight-page, four-column weekly newspaper was edited by William P. Ross, former principal chief of the Cherokees. Ross was born at Lookout Mountain, Tennessee, on April 20, 1820, the son of John and Eliza (Ross) Ross. He attended schools in Alabama, Tennessee, and New Jersey before entering the College of New Jersey (later, Princeton), from which he graduated in 1842. He held political posts in the Cherokee Nation and edited The Cherokee Advocate* from 1844 to 1848. During the Civil War, he served in the Confederate Army and after the war he served twice as principal chief, 1866-1867 and 1872-1875. 2