Fiercely pro-Democratic in politics, Raker made the paper a partisan voice. Gibson continued to write for the paper until 1906, when he stopped for political reasons. After Oklahoma statehood, Raker called the Journal the official county paper of McIntosh County.
In April, 1908, Alexander Posey resumed the editorship when the paper was bought by the Indian Journal Printing Company. Once more, the content emphasized Indian subjects. He reported on the condition of the fullblood Indians, the activities of the so-called Snake factions, old Creek citizens, and controversies over allotment deeds, tribal rolls, and land frauds. The Fux Fixico Letters and Gibson's Rifle Shots returned, and Posey established a regular Creek column. But the revival of the Indian content was short-lived. Posey drowned on May 27, 1908.
Who edited the paper after his death is uncertain. The Indian Journal Printing Company continued to issue the paper with some Indian content but a great deal of ready-print filler. Gibson, however, continued to write for the paper for a few months.
In December, D. H. Moseley was named editor, and H. W. Burch was manager. In April, 1909, R. B. Buford and Moseley were listed as managers, and the following month, Buford became owner and editor of the paper. After Posey's death, the Journal had passed from Indian ownership. It contained less Indian emphasis and, under Moseley and Buford, emphasized city, county, state, and national news.
The Indian Journal is still published at Eufaula, Oklahoma. It has the longest record of sustained publication of any newspaper established by American Indians.