benefit of the fullblood Indians, among whom the Baptists found a majority of their members.
Murrow continued to publish as well the kinds of local religious news that Ross had published. He expanded the content to include more news of freedman missions, churches, and schools as well as news of missionary activities among the tribes to the west, especially the Kiowas, Comanches, and Wichitas. There were as well sermons and articles on topics such as infant baptism. After 1889, when the Unassigned Lands in the center of present-day Oklahoma were opened to non-Indian settlement, occasional articles about Oklahoma Baptists appeared.
In 1891, Murrow disagreed with a decision of the Southern Baptist Convention regarding administration of Baptist affairs in the Indian Territory and, in August, resigned after nearly thirty-four years of service as a missionary of the Convention's Home Mission Board. After the September issue, Murrow gave up the editorship of The Indian Missionary.
At the commencement exercises of the Indian University that spring, Baptists from both Indian Territory and Oklahoma Territory had agreed informally that the Indian University would be the one Baptist-supported college for both territories and that The Indian Missionary should be moved to Oklahoma City, where it would be published monthly by W. H. Nichols until January 1, 1892, at which time it would become a weekly.
Under Nichols's management, the newspaper became an eight-page, six-column weekly in which more local news was printed, along with the religious news, articles, and editorials from both territories. During this period, it was apparently owned by a stock company of fourteen men who had contributed funds but who also received some Baptist missionary funds. In 1892, the Baptist Convention took over the paper and in 1893 merged it with the Baptist Watchman, established in May of that year at McAlester. It was suspended in 1894. 8