L. E. Correll became superintendent and editor in 1933. An Oklahoman, Correll was a graduate of the Oklahoma Agricultural and Mechanical College and had been a teacher at Chilocco for a number of years. Under his editorship, the weekly issues consisted mainly of school news, but during the 1930s there were articles on practical topics, history, vocations, Indian education, and the need for individual initiative and industry.
After 1940, the Journal was devoted all but exclusively to school news. It was suspended in the spring of 1942, apparently because of the war, but resumed publication that fall. It was published weekly during the school year until the fall of 1961, after which it was published twice monthly except for 1972-1974, when it returned to a weekly issue.
After 1947, student editors were listed, but editorial responsibility is uncertain. Student editors changed with the school year, but the superintendent was always listed as "editor." Correll was editor until he retired in 1956, when he was replaced by W. Keith Kelley. Kelley was replaced in 1962 by Leon Wall. Subsequent editors were Daniel Sahmaunt ( 1969- 1972), Frank J. Self ( 1972- 1973), Jimmy R. Baker ( 1973- 1979), C. O. Tillman ( 1979- 1980), and Dee L. Gregory ( 1980). Sahmaunt, a grandson of Kiowas Stumbling Bear and Kicking Bird, was born at Meeks, Oklahoma, on December 10, 1924. He was a graduate of the University of Oklahoma. Self, a Choctaw, was born at Hugo, Oklahoma on May 11, 1922. He was a graduate of Oklahoma State University and a retired Air Force major. 8
Instructors of printing, who directed the student apprentices in producing the periodical, included Francis Chapman, who had returned to the Journal in 1920 and remained until 1944, Ira L. Cowan ( 1944- 1947), Virgil England ( 1947- 1963), Lincoln Morris ( 1963- 1972), who is now teaching at Haskell Indian Junior College, and Rupert Cooper ( 1972- 1980). During the last twenty-five years of its existence, The Indian School Journal varied in format: four to six pages, two to four columns, and various page sizes. The last issue appeared on April 25, 1980, just before the final closing of the Chilocco school.
The Indian School Journal, published in seventy-nine volumes, was one of the longest-lived Indian school publications of the twentieth century. Its pages provide valuable information to those who seek insight into the nonreservation boarding school regarding matters as widely varied as campus life and U.S. policy regarding Indian education. During the early years it was exemplary of the quality of printing produced by the students, many of whom went on to become printers or to be otherwise involved in the publishing industry.