ritory, it soon became evident that he was publishing a "booster" paper for Muskogee. A Republican, Douglas became more politically partisan as time passed. After 1905, the main interest was approaching statehood and the role of the Republican Party in it. He edited the Phoenix until 1908.
Thus after the mid- 1890s, the Indian content of the Phoenix declined so that by Oklahoma statehood in 1907, Indian news was incidental. The early years of the newspaper, however, are a rich source of information on contemporary affairs in the Indian Territory, especially in the Creek Nation.
The Muskogee Phoenix absorbed the Muskogee Times-Democrat* in 1971 and is now published daily as Phoenix & Times-Democrat, with Marjorie B. Paxton as publisher and Jack Willis as editor.
Bibliography: Carolyn Thomas Foreman, Oklahoma Imprints, 1835-1907 ( Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1936); James Constantine Pilling, Bibliography of the Muskhogean Languages ( Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1889); Rollo G. Silver, "A Preliminary Check-List of Nineteenth Century Oklahoma Book Publishers," Chronicles of Oklahoma, 22 (Spring, 1944), 102-108
Index Sources: None
Location Sources : Danky and Hady; Gregory
Title and Title Changes: Muskogee Phoenix ( 1888 + )
Volume and Date Issue: Muskogee Phoenix (Vol. 1, No. 1, February 16, 1888 +)
Publisher and Place of Publication: Phoenix Printing Company ( 1888-1908), Tams Bixby ( 1918-1921), Oklahoma Press Publishing Company ( 1923-1970), Tams Bixby, III ( 1971-1981), Marjorie B. Paxton ( 1982), Muskogee, Creek Nation, later Oklahoma
Editor: Leo E. Bennett ( 1888- 1889); Frank C. Hubbard ( 1889- 1893); I. W. Singleton ( 1893- 1896); Hubbard ( 1896- 1899); M. R. Moore ( 1900- 1902); Clarence B. Douglas ( 1902- 1908); Tams Bixby ( 1918- 1921); C. A. Looney ( 1923- 1927); Joel H. Bixby ( 1930- 1940); Tams Bixby Jr. ( 1946- 1970); Tams Bixby III ( 1971- 1979); John L. Stone ( 1980); Jack Willis ( 1982)
The Muskogee Times-Democrat was established at Muskogee, Creek Nation, on September 1, 1896, as the Muskogee Morning Times. The four-page, seven- column weekly newspaper was owned and edited by Theo W. Gulick and CarlC. Bishop