ODANAH STAR. See ASHLAND CHRONICLE
OGALALLA LIGHT. See OGLALA LIGHT
Originally the Ogalalla Light, the Oglala Light appeared on April 2, 1900, as a three-column, four-page monthly published at the Oglala Boarding School, Pine Ridge, South Dakota. It was edited and controlled by school authorities and printed by the students. It later took on a magazine format. The Ogalalla Light carried a logo on its nameplate, consisting of a circle inscribed with the words "Lux Crescit Partiendo" around its diameter. Inside the circle, a dark hand with an unlighted torch extended upward to a white hand holding a flaming torch. Beneath, a dark hand emerged from shirt and coat sleeves to grasp a similar white hand. Later, the nameplate was changed, carrying the title against a rising sun background. By 1902 the name had become Oglala Light, which it remained.
The Pine Ridge Agency was established as the Red Cloud Agency in 1871, its primary responsibility being the Oglala Sioux. The agency moved to Pine Ridge in autumn, 1878, under Dr. V. T. McGillycuddy. In 1880, four day schools were established on the reservation by the Episcopalians, and this number