divisons of nonreservation schools. Mann regretted the decision, for he believed that The Peace Pipe had been useful in keeping the school in touch with the graduates and had provided the boys with some valuable training.
In final estimation, The Peace Pipe is much like other typical Indian school publications. It generally avoided controversial issues regarding contemporary affairs, and it supported the Bureau policy of education and "civilization." Nevertheless, it provides some clear insights into the activities of the nonreservation school and, because it contains much student writing, shows the impact of educational policies upon Indian youth.
Index Sources: None
Location Sources: DI
Title and Title Changes: The Peace Pipe ( 1912- 1918)
Volume and Issue Data: The Peace Pipe (Vol. 1, No. 1, January 12, 1912-Vol. 7, No. 8, May/June, 1918)
Publisher and Place of Publication: Pipestone Indian School, Pipestone, Minnesota ( 1912-1918)
Editor: Frank T. Mann ( 1912- 1918)
THE PHOENIX REDSKIN.SeeTHE REDSKIN
The Pipe of Peace was established in late 1886 or early 1887 at the U.S. Indian school at Genoa, Nebraska. It was apparently directed by Miss Osee Abbott, a teacher. Since only the first page of one issue is known to exist, 1 it is impossible to tell the frequency of publication. In early issues, it had contained three columns of print. It was printed by the students, who also contributed to its content. Likewise, little is known about the content. Its motto was "Labor Omnia Vincit," and it contained news of the Genoa school and personal notes about teachers and students. It also contained agency news, inspirational matter,