and Bushyhead, with Taylor as editor, maintained earlier editorial policy, with emphasis on economic development.
In May, 1870, Taylor sold his interest to William S. Dodge, an attorney, who with Bushyhead promised to advocate honestly, fairly, and boldly the interests of San Diego County and Southern California. In their pages the reader found frequent treatment of such topics as mines, fence laws, and economic growth. In June, they announced that they would move their offices from Old Town to their new building at Fourth and D streets in Horton's Addition. Their advertisement had not been good, the business ditrict had shifted to New Town, a telegraph office was to be established there, and it was closer to the steamers and, therefore, the news.
In September, 1870, Dodge sold his interest in The San Diego Union to Douglas Gunn, a reporter and printer for the paper. Bushyhead became the principal owner, and Gunn became editor. They maintained the former interest in economic development, but added more foreign news and became the official city press, publishing the ordinances, proceedings, and other business of the City Board. On March 20, 1871, they began publishing the daily San Diego Union ( 1871)* in addition to the weekly because San Diego had become the terminus for the Southern Pacific Railroad. They hired as business manager John P. Young, who remained with them for over a year and later became manager of the San Francisco Chronicle. 5
As time passed, the Union lost much of its booster tone. While interest in the local scene and the region remained dominant, the paper contained more articles on topics of larger, national significance: Indian affairs, Washington news, the Modoc War, Grant's Peace Policy, and immigration. It regularly published news from Arizona.
In June, 1873, Bushyhead sold his interest in the paper to Gunn. With that sale the Union passed from Indian ownership. It was published weekly until 1924, but the daily continued. On May 15, 1967, The San Diego Union Newspaper Museum was opened in the reconstructed office on the site first occupied by Gatewood and Bushyhead. 6 It was a fitting memorial to an early American Indian venture into the newspaper business and to Bushyhead, who remained in San Diego and was for many years a public servant. 7