THE VERSTOVIAN. See TODAY: SHELDON JACKSON COLLEGE
The Vindicator, a weekly newspaper, was begun at New Boggy, Choctaw Nation, on February 28, 1872. It was founded by Dr. J. H. Moore and E. A. Kline, with Moore as editor. The editor claimed that his paper was "Devoted to the Interest of the Choctaws and Chickasaws." While it carried several columns of advertisements and filler material, approximately one fourth of its space was devoted to local, Choctaw national, and general Indian news. Moore advocated an unpopular idea--that with the coming of the railroads to the Indian Territory, the lands should be surveyed and allotted to individual tribal members. The Vindicator quickly expanded from four pages of three columns to eight pages of four columns. It continued at New Boggy until the fall of 1872, when Moore and Kline dissolved their partnership.
Moore moved the newspaper to Atoka, Choctaw Nation, where, as Moore and Company, he published and edited a four-page, five-column weekly in association with the Reverend Joseph Samuel Murrow and W. J. Hemby, a printer. Nothing is known about Hemby, but Murrow was a well-known Baptist missionary. Born in Jefferson County, Georgia, in 1835, Murrow had been ordained while a student at Mercer College. In 1857 he was sent to the Indian Territory as a missionary to the Creeks and Seminoles. Except for a brief period during the Civil War, he had been in the Indian Territory ever since. 1 Hemby