He took a strong stand against allotment, leveling attacks upon "allotment" newspapers and "alien" press that wanted to open the Territory. He especially attacked the Arrow, which challenged his paper as the organ of the National Party.
Perhaps Dick's tone became too strident for the owners of the paper, for on March 1, the editorship went to John L. Adair, Jr., the mixed-blood son of John L. Adair, a well-known public official and newspaper man. He soon resigned, and Dick returned with an eight-page format, claiming the paper had been reorganized, was under new management, and would be full of news and independent in politics. The newspaper still apparently had its problems. By June, Dick had been replaced by E. C. Boudinot, Jr., who had bought the newspaper and who, ironically, had shot its first owner. The paper apparently ceased publication later that year, but exactly when is uncertain.
It was revived as early as October, 1895, as The Weekly Capital with a four- column, four-page format that was quickly expanded to eight pages. It was called the "successor" to The Telephone and began its numbering with the late numbers of Volume 8, apparently taking up where the former paper left off.
The Weekly Capital was published by the Capital Printing Company, and Sallie E. (Jones) Dick, the Cherokee wife of John Henry Dick, was editor. It contained from four to six columns of local and Cherokee national news in each issue, some of which was reprinted from earlier editions of The Daily Capital*; much of the remaining print was U.S. or European news. Much space was given to advertisements, which the publishers promised to print in either Cherokee or English. The newspaper was apparently short-lived, ceasing publication in 1896.
Bibliography: Carolyn Thomas Foreman, Oklahoma Imprints, 1835-1907 ( Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1936); Grace Ernestine Ray, Early Oklahoma Newspapers ( Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1928)