Editor. Alfred Longley Riggs ( 1884- 1916); Frederick B. Riggs and Olive W. Riggs ( 1916- 1922); Frederick B. Riggs ( 1922- 1933); Rudolf Hertz ( 1933- 1936); Millard M. Fowler ( 1936- 1937)
A Wreath of Cherokee Rose Buds was a small three-column literary newspaper of eight pages, issued first as Cherokee Rose Buds at the Cherokee Female Seminary near Park Hill, Cherokee Nation. During the 1853-1854 school year, it was supposedly published "at stated periods," but by 1855 it was advertised as being published at the close of each school session.
In 1854 the newspaper was edited by Cherokee students Catharine Gunter and Nancy E. Hicks and in 1855 by Elizabeth Annie Duncan and Lucinda M. Ross. 1
Devoted to "The Good, the Beautiful and the True," the paper contained original poems and prose by the students of the seminary, who signed the pieces with Cherokee names, initials, or pen names. Articles treated subjects such as Indian traditions, Cherokee education, scenes and routines at the Female Seminary, the famous Cherokee Sequoyah, beauty, nature, and intemperance. There were also notations of local events: temperance meetings, eclipse of the sun, celebration of the school's anniversary, and marriages. Some columns in Cherokee print appeared in each issue.
How long the publication continued is uncertain. Because of a lack of funds, the seminary closed at the end of the fall term of the 1856-1857 school year. It did not reopen until several years after the Civil War. 2
Bibliography: Carolyn Thomas Foreman, Oklahoma Imprints, 1835- 1907 ( Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1936); Grace Ernestine Ray, Early Oklahoma Newspapers ( Norman : University of Oklahoma Press, 1928)