The Youth's Companion was a single-column monthly juvenile magazine established at Tulalip, Washington, in May, 1881. Edited by Father J. B. Boulet, it was published, with permission of the Bishop of Nisqualy, for the benefit of the Puget Sound Catholic Indian Missions and was printed and supposedly written in part by the students of the Tulalip Industrial Boarding School under the control of the Sisters of Charity.
The content consisted mainly of narratives such as "Eugene Drolet, or the Model Scholar," "The Martyr Child," "A Little Saint of Nine Years," which appeared serially. There were, as well, saints' lives, instructional essays on dogma and religious practice, and letters from subscribers.
The magazine contained little information about Indians. An occasional item about the school, such as the honor roll or a pious letter, or a narrative about a missionary to the Indians was published. Boulet also printed a phonetic representation of the Lord's Prayer in various Indian languages.
The Youth's Companion, which apparently ceased publication in May, 1886, reveals more about the methods of the Puget Sound Catholic Indian Missions than about the inhabitants of the Tulalip Reservation.
Bibliography: Annals of the Catholic Indian Missions of America, 2 ( July, 1881), 32; Frederick Webb Hodge (ed.), Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico ( Washington D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1910), 2: 233; James Constantine Pilling , Bibliography of the Wakashan Languages ( Washington D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1894)