Struggle for Survival
Little immediate change occurred when the Act of Congress created the Corps of Engineers, which was to "constitute a Military Academy." No sign was erected at the gate; there was no gate. The nine cadets and several young officers in Burbeck's school for Artillerists and Engineers continued their studies. The same instructors taught the same subjects. Jonathan Williams, who was transferred to the new Corps of Engineers as its senior officer, continued as Superintendent of the new Academy.
Contact with the outside world was still primarily by water. Near the dock was a new stone building used to store supplies until they could be moved up the hill and also to provide shelter for passengers in inclement weather. The path to the plateau above was still narrow and unimproved. Erosion caused by severe winters was corrected by using nearby rocks and dirt. At the top of the path was a set of officers' quarters occupied by the Artillery commander, Lieutenant Robert Weir Osborn. It was also used for the Artillery officers' mess. The class building, the "Academy," was on the western edge of the plain near the site of the present Superintendent's home. South of the Academy near a pond was a small building once used for offices but now quarters of the military storekeeper, Major Fleming. Other houses lay in a rough line to the south. The last was Major Williams' quarters.
To the east were a model yard, more quarters, and a building used as a laboratory. In the In the spring of 1802, Cadets Swift and Armistead planted twelve elm trees around the model yard. The trees were still standing during the Sesquicentennial Observance in 1952 but were removed during the 1970s because of Dutch elm disease and new construction.
A hard-surface walk, possibly of brick, extended diagonally from the garden