Governed by the Rules and Articles of War
Tents were pitched in the level space in front of the old Academy building in the summer of 1818, near the present location of the Superintendent's quarters. For the camp period, organization of the Corps of Cadets was expanded to four companies. There were two purposes for this change: four-company organization gave more cadets a chance to serve as officers, sergeants, and corporals, and the larger number of companies made it much easier for Bliss and Gardiner to conduct battalion maneuvers.
Cadets formed in front of barracks under full pack and marched to the camp site with the band leading the way. After removing their packs, cadets returned to their rooms to move bedding and other possessions. Each wall tent had a wooden floor, the only provision for comfort. There were no cots; cadets slept on the floor. There were no lockers or trunks; possessions were kept in large bags. As in barracks, bedding was folded after reveille and placed in a bag. Gray winter trousers were left in barracks; white linen trousers were worn during the summer with the heavy, wool coatees.
Each company was assigned a line of tents. At one side of the camp were tents for the Commandant and other officers. At the opposite side, latrines were dug. Sentinels patrolled all four sides of the camp twenty-four hours a day. Guard was alternated daily, and the new and old guard were changed at formal guard mount. Cadets rotated as Officer of the Day. Major Thayer went through the entire roster of upperclassmen because this gave him the opportunity of getting to know cadets more intimately. Cadet George Ramsay recalled the cadet on duty "was invited to dine with him [ Thayer], a thing before unheard of. It was our first introduction to a dinner party and a pretty severe ordeal as we