The first general international agreement relative to the suppression of the liquor traffic in Africa was contained in the "general act for the repression of the African Slave trade" signed at Brussels July 2, 1890, and proclaimed by the President on April 2, 1892 (27 Stat. L. 886).
Articles 90 to 95 of the Brussels act of 1890 related to the liquor traffic in a zone extending from the 20th degree of north latitude to the 22d degree of south latitude. These articles prohibited the manufacture of distilled liquor, and provided that in areas where the use of distilled liquors did not exist or had not been developed their importation should be prohibited, except for the use of the non-native population. Each power was authorized to fix the limits of the zones in which prohibition was to be in force. In regions not under prohibition, a minimum rate of import duties was prescribed. The convention provided that the powers should exchange information regarding the slave trade and the traffic in fire arms, ammunition, and alcoholic liquors, and should supply the text of laws and administrative regulations. The exchange of documents and information was to be centralized in a special office attached to the foreign office at Brussels, the expenses of such office to be borne by all the signatory powers. The United States made appropriations regularly for the support of this bureau, from 1899 to 1923, although there was no expenditure after 1914.