Those Desirous of Removing to the Kalamazoo
THE DESIGNS OF SETTLEMENT
On March 10, 1830, the Northwestern Journal, a Detroit newspaper, published a report of the Kalamazoo Emigration Society. The Hudson, Ohio, association announced that a party of eighteen teams was bound for Michigan Territory. Anyone "who cherish[ed] . . . temperance, morality, and religion" would be welcome in the new settlement. 1 The party's destination was Gull Prairie. Shaped "like an old-fashioned physician's saddlebags," the prairie had marked federal township 1 south, 10 west, as the second site of settlement in Kalamazoo County. 2 Gull extended over 4,400 acres--a little over a fifth of the township--and of the nine Kalamazoo prairies was second in size only to Big Prairie Ronde.
The area that was to become Richland Township contained all of the desirable attributes of a prairie settlement. Most of the land in the township was arable; three-fifths of it, including the prairie, was well suited to general farming, capable of sustaining high yields. 3 Besides the prairie, the township consisted mostly of rolling plains "timbered principally with oak," providing a ready supply of lumber. 4 Such plains were a characteristic feature of the