TUNNELS AND SNOWSHEDS
THE IMPROVEMENT in the financial situation of the Central Pacific Railroad Company was followed immediately by an expansion in the activities of the company. At Sacramento, upon lands granted by the city, were erected suitable freight and passenger depots, and a wharf with a steam engine and derricks for the transaction of business. Commodious depot buildings were constructed at all stations on the line as fast as the road opened for traffic.
Workshops were erected at E and Sixth Streets where the various kinds of cars used by the company were constructed. The woodwork of the cars which was at first shipped from the East, was made of California lumber and put together in the shops of the company. As early as August 1865, there were in use sixty-five flat cars, thirty-nine box cars, six passenger cars, and two baggage cars. Wheels and iron work for one hundred more had been ordered by Mr. Huntington in the East. There were also in use six locomotives, two more on the way, and four others ordered.1 There was never any delay for lack of materials. Mr. Huntington kept a supply on hand ample for all needs, purchasing them from six to twelve months in advance.