vs. TEXAS PACIFIC
WHEN THE Southern Pacific Railroad reached Yuma, May 20, 1877, the Texas & Pacific Railroad, which was scheduled to join the Southern Pacific at that point, was still more than 1,200 miles away. On March 3, 1871, Congress had passed an Act chartering the Texas Pacific, a new title for the old Memphis & El Paso Railroad, to build west from Marshall, Texas, along the 32d parallel to San Diego, California. An amendment to the Act, February 28, 1872, changed the "name, style, and title" to "The Texas & Southern Pacific Railway Company." The word Southern in the name appears not to have been used.1 To aid this road the Government gave double the subsidy in land through Arizona, New Mexico, and California that had been given to the Central Pacific and Union Pacific Railroads, twenty alternate sections on each side of the road. The Memphis & El Paso Company had received heavy grants of land from the State of Texas.
Col. Thomas A. Scott of the Pennsylvania Railroad who had been in charge of railway transportation during the late war and who was considered one of the greatest railroad men in the country, gained control of the Texas & Pacific and undertook to raise capital on the bonds of the company secured by a first mortgage on the lands granted by the Govern