TANGIER AS A NAVAL STATION
WITH the close of the Dutch war the English hold on the Mediterranean had survived the first great effort which France made to break it. The coalition with the Northern powers which Louis had arranged to isolate England fell to pieces, and was succeeded by the famous Triple Alliance which Sir William Temple negotiated between England, Holland, and Sweden, and the French King abandoned his attempt to deprive England of her commanding position at sea by force.
Four years' peace, the outcome of Temple's alliance, were in store for her, and during that time Tangier continued to flourish and give promise of all that was hoped from it. The internal dissensions of the Moors kept it free from serious molestation from that quarter, and the works went on quietly with an increasing trade. In 1668 it was thought safe to reduce the garrison to one regiment and half a troop, and in the following year it was given a civil municipal government, as though it were a permanent part of the empire. The same year Lord Middleton, the cavalier soldier of fortune, who had been Monk's chief opponent in his famous highland campaign, came out to replace Lord Belasyse, and quickly displayed his capacity for the post. He made the civil and military elements pull together, encouraged the growing trade, and further increased the strength of the defences. Above all, he devoted his attention to the completion of the