IN ITS first seventy-five years, Alberta's Faculty of Medicine has faced, and overcome, many challenges. It began as a two-year preclinical school in 1913, the fifth academic department in a university that was only five years old. Located in a frontier community, it was completely dependent on fees and government funding. A faculty of six professors met a class of twenty-seven students in the first premedical year. In 1988, 118 students entered the first year of the professional programme 1 and the faculty comprised over one thousand full and part-time academic staff. 2 In addition, about four hundred interns and residents participated in postgraduate education in more than thirty specialties, the medical science departments offered masters and doctoral programmes, and the faculty also provided health-service administration courses. To help the medical practitioner in the field keep up with the fast-moving pace of advances in all fields of medicine, an active Division of Continuing Medical Education provided a variety of programmes for those practising in and around Edmonton and in northern Alberta.
From working with one teaching hospital in 1922, when the school began its expansion to a full degree-granting programme, by 1988 the faculty had developed affiliations with six other local institutions. In addition to the University of Alberta Hospital, the Royal Alexandra, Edmonton General, Misericordia, Charles Camsell, Cross Cancer Institute and