signing the chemical laboratory facilities at the University of Hawaii, Bilger traveled with her husband to twenty-five chemical laboratories and interviewed people about the labs' features. Having responsibility for the project indicates that Bilger enjoyed great respect from her colleagues--they entrusted her with the design of their future surroundings for teaching and research. The facility was occupied in 1951, had 70,340 square feet, and cost $1.5 million to build. Bilger's goal for the structure, which she stated in an article in the Journal of Chemical Education in 1954, was "to provide an environment that arouses the enthusiasm of large numbers of students and research workers." 1 She was instrumental in setting high standards of training and worked to develop the chemistry program at the University of Hawaii so it received accreditation from the American Chemical Society. In 1959 the university named the lab facility after Bilger and her husband.
Bilger Leonora Neuffer, and Earl Matthias Bilger. "The New Chemical Laboratory of the University of Hawaii." Journal of Chemical Education 31 ( 1954): 300.
Roscher Nina Matheny. "Women Chemists." Chemtech 6 ( December 1976): 738- 743.
|Birth||January 10, 1898|
|1917||A.B., Bryn Mawr|
|1918||S.M., University of Chicago; joined General Electric|
|1926||Ph.D., physics, Cambridge University--first woman|