|Birth||April 9, 1876|
|1899||B.A., chemistry, Bryn Mawr|
|1899-1906|| Professor, chemistry, Pennsylvania College for Women,|
|1906-07||Studied at University of Leipzig|
|1907-08||Studied at Bryn Mawr|
|1908-14||Instructor, Mt. Holyoke College|
|1913||First published article|
|1914-18||Associate Professor, chemistry, Mt. Holyoke College|
|1916||Ph.D., Yale University|
|1918-41||Professor, chemistry, Mt. Holyoke College|
|1941||Retired from Mt. Holyoke College|
|Death||December 10, 1950|
Dorothy Hahn and Emma Perry Caff formed the team at Mount Holyoke College that allowed many women chemists of distinction to further their education and make significant contributions to the field of chemistry.
Dorothy Hahn was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1876, the younger of two daughters of Carl S. Hahn and Mary (Beaver) Hahn. Her mother was a native of Pennsylvania, but her father was born in Germany. Her father worked variously as a clerk or bookkeeper, a seller of artificial flowers, and a linguist. Little is known of Hahn's childhood. She attended Philadelphia Girls' High School for a time and graduated from Miss Florence Baldwin's School (now The Baldwin School) in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania. She attended Bryn Mawr College from 1895 to 1899. After graduation from Bryn Mawr in 1899, Hahn was hired as professor of chemistry and biology at Pennsylvania College for Women (later Chatham College), where she taught from 1899 to 1906. From 1904 to 1906, she was also professor of biology at Kindergarten College in Pittsburgh.
In 1906-1907, Hahn worked in the laboratory of Professor Arthur Hantzch at the University of Leipzig in Germany. Returning to the United