Edward W. Eames
The next two years at Governor Dummer Academy provided ample evidence that the recent pattern of expansion and growth -- not only academically, as will become abundantly clear, but also physically -- was to continue at a steady pace in the post-war era. In these two years the results of long-range planning initiated in 1944 began to manifest themselves.
The purchase during the summer of 1945 of "Boynton Meadow," about sixteen acres of property bordering Morse Field to the north, provided land for the soon-to-be-built Alumni Gymnasium (and, in later years, for a much-needed new athletic field and track). At the same time, work was well under way on Ingham House, slated for occupancy in the fall of '46.
At the Trustees' meeting in September of 1945 it was announced that the Gymnasium Fund drive for $125,000 had gone over the top. With building costs spiraling, however, it was decided to postpone construction until a careful assessment of the new circumstances could be made and appropriate adjustments planned.
Nevertheless, needed additions continued to be made in careful stages. For example, by the fall of 1947 the Farmhouse on the old Noyes property had been remodeled to provide accommodations for the Academy steward and his family, the chef, and a dozen to fourteen additional members of the commissary and housekeeping departments. The following spring ground was broken for a wing to Peirce Hall, whereby a much-needed faculty apartment would be gained, as well as additional rooms for several boys. With the new space here and in Ingham House, there would now be accommodations for over 190 boarding students.
With all the evidence of judicious expansion and in spite of the successful fund-raising for a new gymnasium (spearheaded by Mr. Philip Morgan for the Trustees and Art Sager, aided by Buster Navins, of the faculty), it began to look as though the building program might bog down in a morass of rising prices. This, even in the face of the first in a series of remarkable gifts from a single deeply interested alumnus. Requesting that for the time being he remain anonymous, this benefactor had expressed a desire to