N.H. Line -- Newburyport -- Boston -- Dedham -- R.I. Line, 77.9 m. US 1.
Boston & Maine R.R. S. of Boston, and the New York, New Haven & Hartford R.R. parallel the route at intervals. Good, hard-surfaced roadbed, mostly three and four lanes wide. Usual accommodations at short intervals.
US 1 is the most direct route, though not the most scenic, between Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and Pawtucket, Rhode Island. Even in the days of stagecoaches the section of highway between Newburyport and Boston, the Newburyport Turnpike, was known as the "airline route" because of its unwavering course. In its 35 miles it deviates only 83 ft. from a straight line; it runs through pleasant farm lands N. of Newburyport, then over the glacial hills of Topsfield and Danvers. At Lynnfield it runs through flat country as it passes Suntaug Lake between the red rock outcrops of Saugus, on the outskirts of Boston. There are no unnecessary hindrances to traffic in Boston on the through route, which follows a wooded parkway with overpasses and a staggered system of traffic lights. South of Boston the road, locally called the Providence Turnpike, is an express highway traversing only one center of size, North Attleboro, thence crossing rolling country, largely undeveloped.
At 2.4 m. is SALISBURY (15 alt.; town pop. 2,245, incorp. 1640). In the tiny triangular green (L) is the QUAKER WHIPPING STONE, originally the stepping stone of the Friends' Meeting House, built in Salisbury in 1752; it marks the site of Maj. Robert Pike's championship of three Quaker women who had been ordered tied to the tail of an oxcart and whipped (see Section 5).
About 20 yds. N. of the square, on US 1, a marker (L) indicates the SITE OF THE BETSY GERRISH HOUSE, within whose narrow walls was held a session of the General Court. At that time the community was a "shire town" and the only settlement N. of the Merrimac River.
On State 110, 200 yds. R. of the square, is the green known as POTLID SQUARE. A boulder here marks the SITE OF THE FIRST LOG CHURCH OF SALISBURY ( 1640) and the SITE OF THE COURTHOUSE