N.J. Line -- Morrisville -- Philadelphia -- Swarthmore -- Kennett Square -- Md. Line, 83.5 m. US 1.
Reading R.R. parallels the route between Morrisville and Philadelphia; Pennsylvania R.R. parallels the entire route.
Well-paved, all-weather route. Accommodations at short intervals; hotels in cities.
Between the western bank of the Delaware River and the Maryland Line, US 1 pursues a southwesterly course across the undulating terrain of Bucks County, through the city of Philadelphia, and over the section of the highway known as the Baltimore Pike.
The highway crosses the Delaware River on the TRENTONMORRISVILLE BRIDGE, at a point where in 1804 the first bridge across the Delaware was built.
Bucks County was established in 1682 by William Penn as one of the three original counties. The rolling surface and fertile soil of the county are adapted to agriculture, the chief occupation of the inhabitants; small farms predominate.
MORRISVILLE, 0.6 m. (21 alt., 5,368 pop.), incorporated in 1804, was named in honor of Robert Morris, "financier of the American Revolution" and a signer of the Declaration of Independence. Prior to this time it had been known as the Falls of the Delaware. Morris maintained an imposing mansion and stables, patterned after the English stables of the period, on a 2,800-acre tract here. Jean Victor Maria Moreau, one of Napoleon's marshals, who fell into disfavor, lived in the mansion during his exile. In 1915 the tract was subdivided and modern dwellings were built upon it.
The first European settlement in the county was made by the Dutch West India Company on a small island near the western bank of the Delaware, below the falls. Three or four families lived around the company's trading post there from 1624 to 1627. Nothing remains of the island except a large sand bar, nearly opposite Morrisville. A ferry operated here more than 50 years before Penn's arrival in America.
Morrisville was seriously considered by Congress as a site for the permanent capital of the United States, when, on October 7, 1783, a