On February 17 the draft enrollment committee reported that the Governor had admitted that the enrollment was a grievous wrong. Cook County, the committee said, had put 18,786 men in the field, and on percentage of population were 1,400 men ahead of the quotas. The Governor agreed to have the Adjutant General go to Washington with the committee. The old committee appointed to visit Washington was discharged and the following appointed in its place: Colonel R. M. Hough, City Controller S. S. Hayes, and Joseph Medill. The Senators and Congressmen were to help in Washington. Provost Marshal James said that there was only one way to free the quota and that was to provide men. The last quota had been cut fifty per cent, he said, but that was only putting off the evil day.
The military situation was considered hopeful at this time. "The grand combine movement is bearing fruit," said the Tribune on February 18. "Grant says that with 100,000 fresh troops he can terminate the rebel government by May 1. The people are rapidly furnishing the men. The same Providence, in harmony with whose eternal laws of justice and righteousness we are fighting, has guided us to success hitherto and still guides us."
"THE OLD MAN IS RIGHT"
CHICAGO'S quota troubles were finally settled in February of 1865. They were not settled to the satisfaction of the Chicago committee headed by Medill, which held its famous interview with the President as reported in the Tribune at the time. But