Lagundo Utenunk on the Beaver, 1770-1771
A WARM spring rain fell on the mountains and passed eastward, delaying the departure of Zeisberger and his converts from Lawunakhannek on the morning of April 17, 1770. By noon the weather cleared and fifteen canoes pushed off from the banks of the river. Spirits were high as they glided down the wide Allegheny toward the Indian village of Goschgoschunk. As the village came into view, a lone canoe pulled away from the crowded banks of the river. Gendaskund and his family had made their decision. They would join the Christians. Others would soon follow. The old mission site was deserted. Abraham served as quartermaster and traveled ahead each day to find a suitable camping site.
The following day they passed the mouth of the French Creek, where during the French and Indian War, the English had built Fort Venango, now deserted except for a small village of Mingoes. The same day, Glikhikan left the party, returning by land to Packanke's village. He would announce their coming. Three days later, toward evening, they arrived at Fort Pitt and camped a mile above the fort.
At noon on April 22, they continued their journey, canoeing downstream on the Ohio, and by noon of the next day they entered the mouth of the Beaver River. Leaving the Ohio, they passed three miles up the